General information and questions

Student Visa Italy


Would you like to come to Italy but you do not know if you will need a VISA?

Here are some conditions required in order to do an internship:

  • You need to be more than 18 years old
  • Be able to provide a Training Agreement that say that you are still a student in your home country
  • Apply for a study VISA at the Embassy or Consulate from your home country before entering Italy
  • After the Visa you could apply for a Study Permit which would be valid 3
  • Once you are in Italy you need to request the residence permit for study reason within 8 days from your arrival in Italy. To get this you need to go to the Local Police which will help you to arrange the permit. The resident permit will be valid for the duration of the study

Countries which do require a VISA are:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central Africa, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoro Islands, Congo, Congo (Democratic Republic of), Cuba, Djibouti, Dominican (Republic), Ecuador, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, India,Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya,Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Micronesia, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Niger,Nigeria, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Palestinian National Authority, Papua-New Guinea, Peru, the Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Solomon,Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania,Thailand, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Countries which do not require a Visa for a stay of max 90 days for study reasons are:

Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Dominica, El Salvador, Emirati Arabi Uniti, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Guatemala, Grenada, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Macao, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Northern Marianas, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Samoa, Santa Lucia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, St, Vincent e Granadine, Taiwan, Timor Est, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, Uruguay, Vanatu, Venezuela.

Additional countries information:

  • People with a Taiwanese passport are immune to VISA obligations (i.e. holders of passports with an identity card number)
  • Citizens of Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, and Serbia do not need a visa.
  • Nevertheless, citizens from Serbia need to have a passport that was not issued by the Serbian Coordination Directorate (“Koordinaciona uprava”), otherwise this does not apply to them.
  • Citizen of San Marino, the Holy See and Switzerland are not required to hold a VISA.
  • Countries which do require a VISA FOR TRANSIT (Airport Transit Visa – ATV) as per Art. 3, EC Reg. no. 810/2009:
  • Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Senegal, Syria. However, if one of the people from those countries satisfies one of the following conditions they are released from needing an ATV Visa:
  • Possession of a Uniform Visa (Type C) or a national visa for long-term sojourn (Type D) or a residency permit issued by a Member State;
  • Hold a valid residency permit issued by an EU Member State that does not participate in the adoption of EC Regulation no. 810/2009 (e.g. United Kingdom) or from a Member State that does not yet fully apply the provisions of the Schengen Acquis (e.g. Romania), or the citizens of third countries with one of the residency permits (valid) mentioned in Annex V of EC Reg. 810/2009 issued by Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino or the United States of America guaranteeing the unconditional return of its holder;
  • Hold a valid visa issued by an EU Member State that does not participate in the adoption of EC Regulation no. 810/2009 (e.g. United Kingdom) or from a Member State that does not yet fully apply the provisions of the Schengen Acquis (e.g. Romania), or are the citizens of third countries with one of the residency permits (valid) mentioned in Annex V of EC Reg. 810/2009 issued by Canada, Japan or the United States of America when entering the country that issued it or another third country or when, after using this visa, return from the country that issued it;
  • Have a family member who is a European Union citizen
  • Holder of a diplomatic passport
  • Member of an airline crew and citizen of a country party to the Chicago Convention on international civil aviation

Which documentations must you take with you when you are traveling to Italy?

  • VISA, Passport and identity cards 
  • Documentations such as a Training Agreement or others permit documentations that allow you to stay in Italy
  • Insurance Certificate such as health and travelling etc.
  • Contract of your accommodation in Italy
  • Police records
  • Proof of your economic income

If you are in possession of the Schengen VISA, you have the possibility to have free movement between 26 countries for a maximum of three months within a six-month period. They are:

Austria, Belgium , Czech Rep, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland